Saturday, 21 April 2012

First steps SOLO style (December 2011)

Year 11 - Lord of the Flies - Conflict in Chapter 3 (December 2011)

Been reading many blogs and I think I "kind of" get it.
I also read about hexagons to make links but had no time to do the cutting. I used normal rectangular cards instead.
I created a set of SOLO success criteria - probably too complicated but they kind of match the mark scheme.
There is also a sheet to help students reflect and work out what to do next to progress + a slip to set target.

These are early notes/ getting my head around the lesson:
Solo Ideas Conflict in Chapter 3
My aims: To get students to talk about the chapter (literally articulating understanding - still early days with the novel) and the theme, to make links, to consolidate their understanding. Most able students should start seeing the big picture and link to context/ author's intentions. They should also explore the language.
--> Students in groups, arranging cards and linking them, clarifying and discussing links (and arguing over some of the links in 2 groups but agreement was reached) in response to "How does the author present the theme of conflict in chapter 3?"
--> Groups split and visit another table. Hosts explained some of the branches they've created, followed by discussion of what was done similarly/differently in the other group.
-->Some class feedback: I asked for some responses - fairly challenging questions! (no hands up). Fabulous ideas shared.

--> Springboard for a piece of writing on Conflict in chapter 3 of Lord of The Flies.
This to be completed at home.
Peer-assessed next lesson. Chance to redraft a paragraph / section. Then self-assess, reflection, target setting.

VERDICT: Ok really. They didn't really question the language of the taxonomy. Should have spent more time on it but time is short before holidays... and only one lesson with them next week.
Two groups going off task during initial discussion - my fault: should have scaffolded more or shown a clearer example. With a bit more guidance, they were off in style!
More importantly, they felt it was useful and loved sharing their "branches" with other students as they felt they were teaching others (!)
I was able to mark their writing using the SOLO symbols in the margin as well as referring to the Success Criteria. Really helped formative assessment.

Follow up: A lot of the writing was ok but rarely beyond relational. Spending the time drafting in class would have been better but we don't have this time.
Most students still very reluctant to peer-assess (really not used to it and lazy about it) but most could accurately set a target.
Nearly all made significant improvements.
Most were willing enough to reflect on next steps.

I must:
Keep going encouraging peer- and self-assessment.
Clarify and go back to the language of the taxonomy.
Remember to take the camera into lessons!!!

Solo Conflict Blog Version
Words on card - plus some blank ones handed out: Words Conflict

No comments:

Post a Comment